Celery soup is a warm and comforting dish that can be enjoyed all year round. This delicious soup is also packed with essential nutrients that are beneficial for your health. In this article, we will explore the various benefits of celery soup, how to make celery soup, and how to incorporate it into your meal plan.
Benefits of Celery Soup
1. Good source of vitamins and minerals
Celery is an excellent source of several vital nutrients, including vitamins A, C, and K. It also contains potassium, folate, and small amounts of other essential minerals. When you consume celery soup, you get a substantial dose of these nutrients, which helps maintain good health.
2. Low in calories
Celery is low in calories, making celery soup an ideal option for those who are watching their weight or trying to lose weight. A cup of chopped celery contains only 16 calories, and when combined with other low-calorie ingredients such as onions, garlic, and herbs, the overall calorie count of the soup remains low.
3. Rich in antioxidants
Celery is rich in antioxidants, which help protect your body’s cells from damage caused by free radicals. Free radicals can cause various health issues, including inflammation, aging, and chronic diseases. By consuming antioxidant-rich foods like celery soup, you can help reduce your risk of developing these problems.
4. Helps in digestion
Fresh celery is a good source of dietary fiber, which is essential for maintaining healthy digestion. Consuming fiber-rich foods can help prevent constipation, promote regular bowel movements, and maintain the overall health of your digestive system.
5. Boosts immune system
The vitamins and minerals found in celery, particularly vitamin C, can help boost your immune system. Vitamin C is known to encourage the production of white blood cells, which fight off infections and diseases. Consuming celery soup regularly can help keep your immune system strong and healthy.
6. May help lower blood pressure
Celery contains a compound called phthalide, which is known to help lower blood pressure. Phthalide works by relaxing the muscles around your blood vessels, allowing them to dilate and reduce the pressure within. Consuming celery soup regularly may contribute to maintaining healthy blood pressure levels.
How to Make Celery Soup
– 1 large bunch of celery, chopped (approximately 4 cups)
– 1 medium onion, chopped
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 4 cups of vegetable broth or chicken broth
– 1 cup of water
– 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– Optional: fresh herbs (such as parsley, dill, or thyme) for garnish
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and fresh dill and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until they become soft and translucent.
2. Add the minced garlic to the pot and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
3. Add the chopped celery to the pot and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the celery begins to soften.
4. Add the diced potato, vegetable or chicken stock, and water to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
5. Cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes and celery are tender.
6. Use an immersion blender or a regular blender to puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency. If using a regular blender, be sure to let the soup cool slightly before blending and blend in batches if necessary.
7. Season the soup with salt and pepper, to taste. If desired, garnish with fresh herbs like fresh parsley before serving.
Variations and Additions of Celery Soup Recipe
1. Cream of celery soup: Add 1/4 cup of heavy cream, homemade cream or whole milk to the creamy soup after blending for a richer, creamier taste.
2. Celery and leek soup: Substitute 2 cups of chopped leeks for the onion in the recipe.
3. Spiced celery soup: Add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of ground turmeric, and 1/4 teaspoon of ground coriander to the soup when adding the broth and water.
4. Celery and apple soup: Add 1 cup of chopped green apples to the soup along with the celery.
Celery soup is a nutritious and delicious way to enjoy the numerous health benefits of celery. This versatile dish can be easily customized to suit your taste preferences and dietary needs. By incorporating this soup into your meal plan, you can enjoy a tasty and satisfying meal while reaping the numerous health benefits that celery has to offer. Do you have any celery recipes to share?